Wednesday, June 17, 2009

SCCM Unattended Install: Research

Before diving into Microsoft's documentation, I figured I'd start with a Google search. I can't be the only one who wants to install SCCM in an unattended fashion, right?

The first item I found was someone asking in a Technet forum, and of course someone responded to the question with a link to the docs! Unattended Setup Overview

Well, a few Google search pages later, I a gave up. It looks like there's not much out there in terms of a ready to go unattended install process. So we'll have to roll our own using the docs.

Going back to the Microsoft doc, I did find How to Deploy a Site Using Scripted Installation Methods, which seems like a great starting point.

From a high level, I think we're looking at 4 steps (assume the server is ready to go)
1. Installing SQL
2. Configuring SQL
3. Installing SCCM Role(s)
4. Configuring SCCM Role(s)

Now the install and configure can be one step, but I'm assuming there are different actions involved, like unattended install using setup.exe or an MSI, and then followed by a script or something to do the configuration.

2 comments:

  1. I'm at this point now! About to begin a LAB implementation of SCCM 2007 R3 RC and want to automate as much as possible. Were you able to accomplish this?

    ~B

    ReplyDelete